Sunday, September 05, 2010

Afraid Of The Silent Truth

Well, there has been some hiatus on this blog of mine. However, it is safe to say that I have been quite productive since my last blog.

I decided it was time to get some professional advice on recording my song. I chose the title track "Waking To A Sun" as I thought it would probably be the most complex song to work with and would ideally set some sort of benchmark as to how I will record the rest of the album.

The person I chose to work with (purely from google seach) seemed to have alot of experience and some of his works are of great quality.

He charges $80 per hour and for this song I spent $730. He has a huge array of analog equipment ranging from compressors to reverbs and multi fx. I spent the first session putting the tracks down (Rhtyhm and lead guitars, vocals, strings, drums). The second session was actually removing the vocals completely because I was sick when I recorded them, and they sounded awful, followed by guitar fills and fixing up the drums and strings. No mixing, editing or mastering was done during this time.

As every hour passed with this person I started feeling a little more uneasy because it was really pinching my wallet. I wasn't sure if it was worth spending so much money when half the things I could do myself.

As a result after I recorded the majority of the tracks, I told him to give me the raw tracks so I could mix it and master it at home myself. He wasn't pleased as he would prefer to follow through, but he did it nevertheless.

I redid the vocals at home and mixed, edited and mastered everything to my taste, removing a financial burden and believe I had a sufficient mix for putting on a CD.

The next step is to get the rest of the songs done. I can feel progress is made, regardless of how slow it is, but it is there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home